Friday, June 10, 2016

God Loves All the Children of the World, "Special Needs Camp" message, Matt 19:13-15; 18:4-6

God Loves All the Children of the World
Matthew 19:13-15; 18:4-6
Opening Remark for FBCC's First Special Needs Camp
June 10-12, 2016


By Pastor Brian
Fort Bend Community Church
2016.06.10




(Our first Special Needs Camp: 20 special needs children with their family with 36 counselors and trainers)




Introduction

1. Welcome to the Special Needs Camp. Children, you are welcome. Parents, you are welcome. Counselors and trainers, you are welcome.

2. One of my favorite songs that I learned when I was a child is the song, "Jesus loves the little children." If you know this song, please sing with me.

Jesus loves the little children,
All the children of the world.
Red and yellow, black and white,
All are precious in His sight.
Jesus loves the little children of the world.

3. The song was written by C. Herbert Woolston 120 years ago. He was inspired by the story in Matthew 19:14 where Jesus says, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these.” In this verse, the disciples were afraid the children would bother Jesus, but Jesus wants children to come to him.

4. Not just some children, all the children. Jesus loves all the children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white, tall and short, big and small, strong and weak... Jesus loves all the children.

5. When I was a child, I had all kind of problems. I was a ADHD kid (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). You may not believe it to be true. I was unable to sit down in Sunday school and paid full attention. I was jumping and moving all the time. I jumped from chair to chair, from sofa to table. My feet never walked on the floor at home. One time when I swung from the table in the living room to the desk in my room hanging on the top of the door frame, I fell and cut my right thigh with a deep wound. It took months to heal and it left a big scar on my right thigh forever. It is right here. Do you want to see it?

I got into trouble at school and at church and at home. I have 5 siblings, 4 brothers and 1 little sister. I was the second child. When I was eight, my parents could not take it any more. They sent me to a boarding school.

I was just eight years old. I wonder does Jesus still love me? Jesus loves the little children. Does Jesus love a child like me?

6. I thank God that I have a grandmother who loved Jesus. She lived with us when I was growing up. She was an ordinary woman by any standard. She had just two years of education. She became the first Christian in our family when she was 20 years old. And in her, I saw Jesus. I felt the love of God toward a special child with ADHD through her. She was kind, she was patient. She brought us to church. She prayed for us. And she demonstrated the love of God by loving me unconditionally.

7. In Matthew 18:5, Jesus said, "Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me." In receiving a child unconditionally we are receiving Christ.

One time I was very bad and was in time-out. She brought a glass of water. I was angry and upset. I threw away the glass and spilled water all over the place. Grandma never said a word. And she picked up the broken pieces and cleaned the place. I was still upset.

Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me.

8. Years later, I understood that Jesus died for my sins. He loves me with an everlasting love. I am created in God's image. And I am special to God.

And it was my grandmother who had demonstrated this love to me. In her love toward me, the Holy Spirit poured the love of God in my heart. I am eternally grateful to my grandmother who received a child like me.

9. This is why we are here this weekend. Children, you are here because God loves you with an everlasting love. Parents, you are here because God loves you. He is not angry with you. He is not bestowing evil to you and your family. God loves you. Your child is special to God.

Counselors and trainers, you are here because God loves you and through you He is going to pour His love toward these children. When you receive one such child in His name, you receive Jesus. The children may not know you, they may not cooperate with you, they may be upset with you... Remember this when you receive one such child in His name, you receive Jesus.

10. I want to thank Pastor Andrew, his team and all the volunteers for making this first special needs camp such a special time. Your sacrifice and love for these children are deeply appreciated.

Thank you.














No comments:

Post a Comment